Skip to main content

Full text of "Bob Buente South Park BID Emails through 10/2018"

See other formats

Re: Emrani Properties

Subject: Re: Emrani Properties
From: Ellen Riotto <ellen@southpark.la>

Date: 05/19/2017 12:10 AM

To: Tara Devine <tara@devine-strategies.com>

CC: Robert Buente <bbuente@1010dev.org>

Thanks Tara

I think be I told Brian he'd receive an answer from you today, it's best that you send him
the email you just shared w me and Bob. It answers the question, as I understand it.
However I don't think they'll be happy to hear it. I'll follow up with your email to Brian
(please keep me CC'd) and will let him know that I'll reach out first thing tomorrow AM.

Thanks

Ellen

Ellen Riotto

Interim Executive Director
South Park BID

1100 S Flower St, Suite #3400, Los Angeles, CA 90015

o. 213-663-1112

c. 401-439-8147

24/7: 866-560-9346

Sent from my iPhone

On May 18, 2017, at 11:59 PM, Tara Devine < tara@devine-strateqies.com <mailto:tara@devine-
strateqies.com> > wrote:

Ellen: I noticed you connected me to Brian.

I can send him the answer I just sent you/Bob, or you may forward it.

Does my answer accurately reflect their questions/concerns as you understand them?

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM, Tara Devine < tara@devine-strateqies.com
<mailto:tara@devine-strategies.com> > wrote:

Thanks for your patience. The question wasn't explicit, but here's what I
think was implied.

If I understand the question correctly as:

If a property (recorded as residential condos) is operated as apartments,
shouldn't it (or can't it) be assessed like commercial buildings rather than condominiums?

...then the answer is:

We cannot assess condos as apartments (even if they are operated as such)
because each condo unit is a separate freestanding parcel in the eyes of the County (and
City) with each being levied their own property taxes (and assessments) and being billed
individually, regardless of who owns them. The BIDs Management District Plan (MDP) and
Engineer's report (ER) very clearly establish one rate for residential condominiums and

1 of 3

10/19/2018 09:00 AM

Re: Emrani Properties

one rate for commercial buildings (which include apartments.) Once a property records
their residential condo subdivision, we assess the property at the residential condo rate,
and cannot assess it at the commercial (apartment) rate.

A residential condo does not, persay, have a "lot" or "frontage," which is
why we assess on unit SF alone. And each res condo unit receives an individual property
tax bill (including any assessment.) On the other hand, an apartment building (i.e. not
subdivided) is a single parcel, receiving a single property tax bill (except in rare
instances where the building straddles a parcel line, in which case the bldg SF is
allocated either to one parcel, or among the parcels.) Such a parcel has a "lot" and
"frontage" in addition to its bldg SF - which is why we assess these parcels on a
combination of bldg, lot and frontage.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Ellen Riotto < ellen@southpark.la
<mailto:ellen@southpark.la> > wrote:

Hi Tara,

The Emrani family owns 3 LLCs in the district:

VENICE INVESTMENTS GROUP LLC
PACKARD COMMERCIAL LLC
HOPE ENTERPRISES LLC

They are being charged at the condo rate, but they operate their
units as apartments. They would like to arrange a call with you today - do you have
availability?

Thank you in advance,

Ellen

Ellen Riotto

Interim Executive Director

South Park Business Improvement District

1100 S Flower St, Suite #3400, Los Angeles, CA 90015

ellen@southpark.la <mailto:ellen@southpark.la> | o. 213 663 1112

2 of 3

10/19/2018 09:00 AM

Re: Emrani Properties

<tel:(213)%20663-1112> | c. 401 439 8147 <tel:(401)%20439-8147>

southpark.la <http://www.southpark.la/> | Facebook <http://fb.com
/SouthParkLosAnqeles> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/southparkla> | Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/southparkla/>

24/7 DISPATCH: 866-560-9346 <tel:(866)%20560-9346>

— imageOOl.png

5 .. Hi U T 3 1 A F: K

TIB "¥ 41

— imageOOl.png